Thursday, August 24, 2006

How writing changed my life...

In 2005, I left my husband, my home and started my life over again. My writing all started with me reviewing romance books. I have been doing that for over two years now. I have always had infinity to the written word as long as I can remember.

This kept me sane when my world would seem insane. I would lose myself within the pages of an author’s book, finding refuge and even inspiration sometimes. I read over 275 books my first year of reviewing. Working damn hard to establish myself as a fair, but honest reviewer. My goal, and I always set goals for everything I do, was to end up a reviewer for PNR Reviews, which I did. The only way to become one, is by being asked. I was honored when the email came, I can still remember it like it was yesterday.

What does all this have to do with being an author, you ask? Well, I am getting to that part right now. After two years of hard-hitting reviewing, I needed to expand my way of looking at an author’s book and writing style, and what better way than to try my hand at. I did, and what an eye-opening experience that was for me. It is not as easy as one would think it should be. I had trouble with my verb tenses and getting my POV straight, but I was determined to do it. Within the first month, I was contracted with Midnight Showcase. If you are a new author, they are always willing to give you a helping hand at getting published.

Then, I wrote my next story, which by the way was just released from Venus Presscalled Faeful: Sexual Magic. I still cannot believe that I actually wrote that book. It is a combination of Harry Potter meets J. R. R. Tolkien. I decided after that book that I would set up more goals and six months later I have met or exceeded every one of them.

Through all this writing, I have found myself again, loving the person that I am and still to become. If you have ever yearned to write, I say do it! It is hard work, but the rewards are many.

Happy writing,

Skylar Sinclair.http://www.skylarsinclair.com/

1 comment:

Loretta said...

I would have to say that you came a long way and have done wonders with yourself.
Loretta